Monday, April 14, 2008

I'm back from California

My flights back were fairly uneventful except for the the wife "tearing a strip off" her husband in the row in front of me, and major engine/landing gear problems on my Vancouver to Victoria flight (the original plane was towed to the shop and the crew prep-ed another plane).

I don't understand US culture (in California). I felt more comfortable in Geneva then in California. Here are some examples (yes, they aren't isolated to the US): 1.5 million dollar homes next to a neighborhood where people live 200% below the poverty line; you drive everywhere; people seem to like hierarchy (I'm above you).

With respect to the conference, my best conversations were with the two taxi drivers during my ride to and from the hotel. By the way, Heath Ledger (the new Batman movie www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/) died because he was still partially in character. His medication issues were due to his residual joker persona. Has anyone had a better taxi conversation?

Another positive aspect of the trip was the view from the airplane of the regions geography and topography. Wow!

No comments: